Is a good nights sleep a challenge?
Sometimes it is for me. Let me tell you, when I don’t get enough sleep every aspect of my life suffers. My work, my relationships, mostly my attitude. There have to be dozens of articles and ideas on how to get a better night sleep. All great ideas, they just either weren’t practical for me or I couldn’t make them work. The list below is what works for me and I hope it will work for you too!
How much sleep do we need?
Multiple studies indicate that adults should try to get 7-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night. Failing to do so lead to irritability, weight gain, lost productivity and low energy and countless other long term health risks. Those risks were enough to get me serious about getting some sleep.
This list may include affiliate links. These links are for your convenience and are for products I use and love. Clicking on these links may mean I may get a small commission but this is at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
5 Things I do to get more sleep
- Develop a Routine. Having a regular routine where we go to bed and get up around the same times each day tells our body that it time to wind down and prepare for sleep. Our dog Sophie is good at reminding me if I start to stray outside of my routine (to the point of howling. Husky owners will understand). Part of my routine includes a cup of Sleepy Time Tea.
- Temperature. Most of us sleep better when the air is cool. Check your thermostat and adjust the air conditioning or the heat. I find that at sleep best when its around 72 degrees. Another option is a ceiling fan.
- Take a shower or a bath. Many parents find that a bath is the perfect way to transition children from regular activities to sleep. This is true for adults as well. I like to relax in the tub with my Sleepy Time Tea.
- Melatonin. Melatonin is a non-addictive herbal solution that can be purchased in any drugstore. The brand I use is here.
- Essential Oils. I love to put essential oils on the soles of my feet prior to going to sleep. The scent on my hands is soothing and helps me quickly to sleep. My favorite is Young Living Peace & Calming.
Do you have any favorite routines that have helped you to get more sleep? Please leave a comment below and share so we can all benefit from your suggestions!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.