This post probably contains affiliate links. You can read our full disclosure policy here.
Spicy Orange Peel Chicken Recipe
Thanks to PF Chang’s and Home Chef I have developed a love of Orange Peel Chicken. Sadly the recipe I had came with a prepared orange sauce. I needed to find a way to recreate the recipe. I also needed to tweak the recipe to get it spicy enough to suit our tastes. The quest for a Spicy Orange Peel Chicken Recipe started. I found some great recipes. Especially this recipe from Dinnerthendessert.com.
I modified it for two people. Cut down on the sugar and made it a bit spicier. Just a warning, We like things spicy. You may want to reduce the sriracha if you like dishes that are mild in flavor. For your convenience, I’ve provided a list of ingredients and tools below. See the Spicy Orange Peel Chicken Recipe below for detailed measurements.
Spicy Orange Peel Chicken – Ingredients Needed
Chicken Tenders or Chicken Breast
Hot Sesame Oil
Spicy Orange Peel Chicken – Tools Needed
Vegetable Peeler (recommended for Citrus Peels)
Thermometer/Temperature Gauge (pictured)
Spicy Orange Peel Chicken – Method
Prepare your ingredients. Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces. Mince garlic, chop onions. Prepare sauce and zest and peel orange.
Heat half of sesame oil in a large wok over medium to high heat. We love this thermometer to test the heat in our wok or other pans. Making sure your pan is hot is the trick for getting a good sear or crispness when browning meat. Cook chicken in batches using the remaining sesame oil as needed. Make sure not to over crowd the pan and cook 3-4 minutes. Set chicken aside.
Add garlic and onions to the pan and cook until fragrant without burning. No more than one minute or so. Add sauce ingredients. Sauce should thicken in 3-5 minutes. Make sure to stir to prevent sugars from burning. Add chicken and orange peels/zest to the pan and cook until chicken is heated through.
Remove from heat and serve. Pictured with simple jasmine rice and roasted baby broccoli.
- 1 lb chicken tenders or chicken breasts cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- 3 garlic cloves minces
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon siracha
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 orange (half peeled, half zested and juice)
- 1 tablespoon hot sesame oil (for frying)
- Dice chicken. Mince garlic and chop green onions. Zest half or orange. Use a vegetable peeler to peel half of orange. Cut orange peels into strips and set aside. Place chicken in a bowl and dust with corn starch. Mix to coat and set aside. Combine tomato sauce, water, soy sauce, orange juice, sugar and brown sugar. Stir to combine.
- Heat wok over medium high heat with 1/2 of sesame oil. Brown chicken in batches. Remove from wok and set aside. Heat wok with remaining oil over medium heat. Add garlic and green onions. Cook one minute until fragrant being careful not to burn garlic. Add Sauce mixture and cook until thickened approximately 3 minutes. Add chicken back to pan, add orange peels and zest. Cook until heated through, approximately 1 minute. Serve over rice (optional)
Please share this recipe with friends and family!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.