I have this thing with summer rolls. There is something about the fresh crispness of all the vegetables that I just love. The crispy crunch of the lettuce, the sweetness of the shrimp, a tangy dressing. I feel healthy when I eat them. Sadly, those that are made in rice paper wrappers don’t travel well, or store well. The paper gets kind of gummy so they aren’t really a good option if you can’t make and eat them same day. In an aha moment, Summer Rolls in a Bowl became my latest food fixation.
Easy, portable, a great lunch option for work. I’m always looking for easy healthy lunch options. It’s such a challenge in our café at work to find some thing that is tasty, filling and doesn’t have a bazillion calories.
After experimenting with several dressings on my own, I came across this dressing from http://www.culinaryhill.com for an Asian Salad Dressing and Marinade.
These lists may include affiliate links, these links are for products I use and love. I add these for products or tools that you may not be familiar with or may not be easy to find in your area. Clicking on these links may mean I may get a small commission but this is at no additional cost to you. These commissions are paid by the retailer.
Thai basil leaves
Large cold boiled shrimp
Small Pan to cook Vermicelli
Begin by cooking the vermicelli according to the package directions. Allow to cool. Wash clean and slice your vegetables and remove the stems from the herbs.
Divide ingredients equally among four bowls or storage containers. These are my favorite containers for lunches as on the go.
- I head Bibb lettuce
- I package Vermicelli Cooked and cooled
- 3-4 Green Onions sliced into 2 inch pieces and sliced in half
- 1 cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 Cucumber peeled and sliced
- 1 Bell Pepper (any color) cut into strips
- 1/2 cup Bean Sprouts
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup mint
- 1/4 cup thai basil leaves
- 12 large cold boiled shrimp peeled
- Asian Dressing
- Cook vermicelli according to package directions. Cook and shell shrimp, I prefer to buy the shrimp already cooked and cleaned at the seafood counter. Set aside and allow to cool. Rinse and clean all vegetables. Slice cucumbers, green onions and bell peppers into strips. Divide Bibb lettuce into , vermicelli and shrimp into 4 servings. In individual bowls or containers add equal portions of bibb lettuce, vermicelli, shrimp and each of the vegetables. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Toss with your favorite Asian dressing and enjoy.
I hope you love this Summer Rolls in a bowl recipe as much as I do. For another easy, tasty lunch idea check out How to Make Tasty Chicken Burrito Bowls.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.